Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Impatience

The other day I was reading in Exodus chapter 32. This is when Moses was up on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments from God. The people grew impatient and took matters into their own hands. They made a golden calf and decided to make it a god. They digressed from there.

This made me think. How often do I grow impatient with what I think God is supposed to be doing in my life? Where does my impatience lead me? Discontentment. Disobedience. Worry.

I must trust in God's plan for my life. When impatience brings doubts, I must remember Philippians 4:8 and think on "whatever is true." And the truth is Psalm 84:11, 12 - "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. Oh LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in You." If I am living uprightly, God will not withhold blessing from me. God does not dangle carrots in front of me and laugh. He loves me. He knows what I need and when I need it.

Impatience should not have a place in my life. I believe in God's sovereignty; therefore, He is never late. He is always on time. I should never take matters into my own hands.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Amen & amen! Think also of the example of Sarah & Abraham. Mike & I were talking about that just the other night. How different our world would be if Sarah had not grown impatient with God's timing. I'm so grateful too, that the Lord uses the time of waiting to teach us & to give us other special things. He is such a good God & totally worth waiting on!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I found your blog through Amy in South Africa. Don't know her either, but found her blog while looking for contact info for Eric and Katie. I do know Eric and Katie. Anyway, I read this post and just loved it. It made me think of a quote I saw on another blog, so I thought I'd share. May God bless you as you seek to grow in Him. Enjoy the quote.


"The thrill of knowing that God is working is worth the agony of waiting." ~Deb Kwan~ (Deb is the author of the quote - not this comment).