Thursday, March 18, 2010
Monday, March 15, 2010
Today was my first day working at Hometown Insurance. I can sum it up in one phrase (but you know I won't)...I'm gonna love it! I really enjoyed working again and the interaction with people. I have sooooooo much to learn, but it is so evident that this is where God wants me. I'm really excited to dive in and can't wait till I'm a pro at insurance.
Thanks so much for all your prayers. And please don't stop praying!
On a side note, every time I answered the phone at work today I had to keep myself from saying, "Iowa Regular Baptist Camp, this is Erin." I seriously had to stop and think before I answered EVERY TIME! I'm sure it will start to come naturally soon.
Okay, so I'm finally going to download some pictures for you. Look back a few posts to see the before pictures. I'm not going to take time to post them again. The progress made is amazing!! I can walk into my house and smile instead of cry now.
A huge thank you goes out to Mom and Dad. They worked so hard and taught me so many things. Their coming helped take away that overwhelming feeling of being inadequate in owning a home. I'm so thankful for the parents God has blessed me with and I can't even tell you how much I love them...not just because they helped with the house. They are just incredible all the way around.
So without further adieu...here are the pictures.
Sorry it's dark, but notice the new lighting. The other side of the family room also has the new lights. Guess I should have turned them on for the picture.
Here's the kitchen. New lights in here too as well as the paint. I went with orange...who would have guessed? The next picture lets you see the color a little better.
Haven't painted the living room yet, but all the boxes are gone and Mom labored away on that awful border for several days this past week. It was a huge task and she got it all off. Now it just needs to be painted and it will be done. Dad replaced the yucky lights in here too with the ceiling fan.
Here's my bedroom. It's a small room, but I really like how it turned out. The walls are purple and the ceiling is light gray. The shades were originally $40 at Lowe's but we found them on sale for $9 and I got 10% off as well! Yippee! They are too big for the windows, but that's where Dad came in really handy. Notice the new ceiling fan in this room too.
Monday, March 8, 2010
So I thought I would finally show you a picture of the outside of the house. I had to included the "sold" sign as well.
There is still a lot to do, but I've made progress and now it's time to get some of the improvement projects done. Not every box is unpacked, but I would guess there are only 10 more to go. I had to leave something for my mom to do while she's here.
I went and picked out paint colors today. I'm ready to put my touch on things around here. I'll be sure to take before and after pictures to keep you updated on all of it.
My parents are only about an hour away. We'll do some measuring, take another look at things and then head to Lowe's in Des Moines. When you move the Post Office sends you a 10% coupon to Lowe's. I look forward to making great use of it.
Thanks for all your prayers during this process and I'd appreciate you continuing to pray for me as I adjust to a new home, new town, new job, new church and I'm sure other new things. I've been pretty overwhelmed this past week, but I continue to think on God's faithfulness and His loving care.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Sorry, still no pictures to share. I wouldn't have time to download them anyway. So here is a list of the progress I've made:
- Clean shower - 1st thing I did and it took a looooooooooong time. :)
- Clean kitchen (this one could have sub-bullets all on it's own, but I won't get that detailed)
- Unpack kitchen boxes
- Wash all kitchen stuff
- Find a place for all kitchen stuff
- Touch up and clean more of the kitchen
- Polish up the cabinets
- Clean kitchen floor (I know I said I wouldn't get into the nitty gritty of cleaning the kitchen, but this one deserved a point of it's own. The previous owner put carpet in the kitchen...yep, you read that right...C-A-R-P-E-T. I'm thoroughly grossed out by it and it will be one of my first projects to get rid of it. I won't even walk barefoot in there after I vacuumed it. Enough said here.)
- Broke down all empty boxes and put out for trash (my back hurts now)
- Clean washing machine and dryer (There was some nasty stuff left behind there. This one took awhile too.)
- Hook up new printer (Had to so I could print out forms to change automatic withdrawls.)
- Made phone calls to contractor, electrician, flooring guy and furnace guy, so I can set times for them to come next week when my parents are here. I need Dad's knowledge for this stuff.
- Went to Wal-Mart every day as I continually discovered things I needed. It's my goal not to go the rest of the week. We'll see how that one holds up.
- Went and signed up for the Homestead tax thing-a-ma-jigger. Still don't know what that one's all about, but I can cross it off my list.
- Went to the bank.
- Went to the post office.
Whew! No wonder I'm so tired. And who knew just the kitchen would take all of one day and part of two others. Now I'm on to the rest of the house tomorrow starting with my bedroom and the utility room/bathroom. Can't use the real bathroom yet, hence the call to the contractor. Anyone free to come unpack some boxes and clean? I'll feed you a sandwich...okay I might even spring for pizza! :)
Just wanted you to know that I haven't been sitting around eating bon bons.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Well, I'm in my house...all my stuff is in my house...there is lots of dirt in my house...I'm working in my house.
I closed on the house on Monday afternoon. My dear, sweet, wonderful friends, Aaron and Anna, drove all my belongs down in a U-Haul that evening. Guys from the office came to help unload that night too. They heard I have a piano and still came to help anyway!
I spent yesterday cleaning and working on unpacking the kitchen. It's almost all clean. Most of it is unpacked and now I need to find a place for everything.
Sorry there aren't any pictures. I found my camera last night. I guess I shouldn't have packed it.
I've also been to Wal-mart everyday that I've been here and will be making another trip today. A huge praise...While I was there yesterday I did a quick trip down the clearance isle. I noticed some curtains that were nice and only $7. I measured and then called my dad to see if he thought the measurements worked. So, I'm headed back to buy two sets for my living room. New curtains for only $14!!!!!
Well, I need to get back to unpacking and cleaning, so I'll sign off for now. Thanks to everyone for your prayers!