Saturday, June 9, 2007

Bliss

I was watching PBS a couple weeks ago and caught the tail end of a program. They were talking about finding your bliss. One of the highlighted people, had once led a busy life and wasn't happy, so he started spending more time on his art and made that his life. The list went on, but it was all about finding what makes you happy and chasing after it. Less stress, doing only what you love, etc. It actually sounded good. At that time I was headed into the camping season and a little overwhelmed. So I thought...what is my bliss? What would I love to center my world around?

Boy, was that ever the wrong thought. Then I started thinking, "What should be bliss for a Christian?" Scripture starting coming to mind. Here are a few:

I Corinthians 10:31 - "Therefore whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Colossians 3:17 - "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

I Peter 4:11 - "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen."

Psalm 1 "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf shall not wither; and whatsoever he does shall prosper..."

Psalm 34: 2, 3 - "My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear thereof and be glad. Oh magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together."

Psalm 37:4, 5 - "Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."

Romans 12: 1, 2 - "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

There are more, but that would make this post really, really long. My point...my "bliss" as a Christian is to bring glory to God and to live solely for Him. There are many things I enjoy on this earth, but nothing will compare to standing in front of my Heavenly Father and hearing Him say "Well done." My bliss is to live my life to reach that goal.

Oh, I'm going to fail. I'm going be overwhelmed again and want to find a life of less stress, but I just need to fill my mind with Scripture and continue to seek to please Him.

No comments: