Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Outrageous Chocolate Chip Cookies

So you may think you are just going to get a recipe with this post, but oh no.  No such luck!

Tonight is beautiful outside and it's actually not raining.  I decided it would be a good night to clean out my gutters.  I don't have a ladder and my dad told me to buy this handy dandy attachment that goes on a garden hose.  I unwrapped my two brand new hoses, hooked them together, attached them to the outside water source (not sure what you call it) and hooked it up to my new gadget.

As much as you might want a picture of what I'm going to describe, there isn't one.  I'm sure you can get a mental image though.  That handy dandy little gadget did nothing but get me soaking wet.  And yes, I was using it correctly.  My house was empty for two years before I bought it and I doubt anyone cleaned the gutters in that time.  My neighbor saw my plight and said that tomorrow was his day off and it would only take him a few minutes to get the ladder up there and clean those nasty gutters out for me.

What a blessing!!!!  I prayed that God would put me in a neighborhood where I could be a blessing, but so far it's been the other way around.  In the day and age when people stick to themselves and neighbors don't even know each other this is rare.  The neighbor behind me lets me put brush on his trailer and he hauls it away for me.  The neighbor to the north lets me borrow his shop vac and he fixed the lever on my ice maker. Now the neighbor to the south is going to clean out my gutters!  I really am blessed.

So what can I offer my neighbors?

COOKIES!


I've already made the rounds with cookies once and homemade cinnamon rolls another time.  Since I'm not spending the evening cleaning my gutters, I'm making them cookies.  And I have to say that if you're a cookie dough lover, then these are the cookies for you!  This recipe is the best cookie dough I've ever had!

Maybe you should make some and take them to your neighbors.

Outrageous Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cooking or regular oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (I usually just give the shaker one good shake)
1 6 oz package chocolate chips

Cream together wet ingredients.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.  Let stand on cookie sheet about a minute before removing.  Makes a small batch, so I usually double it.

7 comments:

Jaime O said...

I was thinking about going to be at a fairly normal hour...but, now I'm thinking about making cookies for work tomorrow! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

the johnson crew said...

wow erin, what a blessing to have such wonderful neighbors. i am sure they will enjoy those yummy cookies. - i LOVE cookies, but they take up so much time and counter space and get eaten faster than they can come out of the oven. :) but i will have to try your recipe when i am feeling up to something new.

Sabrina Amanda said...

I've met some of your neighbors and they are super nice! ...I don't really want any pictures of the garden hose attachment, but I would like some of you trying to spray gunk out of the gutters and getting soaking wet instead!

Theo-Ann said...

Thanks for sharing this, Erin. I've given some cookies to my new neighbors, too, but it's been a while, so I've been thinking about doing it again. Your recipe looks fantastic!:)

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

I'll get you my address :) And yes, I accept deliveries in person or via mail at any point through out the year ;)

Yum-o!

Mary Ann said...

I'm so glad you are blessed with such sweet neighbors! We have met a couple of ours but all we really do is wave in passing. The dude across the street lets his pitt bull use our yard so I try to smile as I wave. Those cookies look fabulous! I was just thinking I needed something new to try this weekend. Might have to give them a whirl!

ExploreColorado said...

Yum!!!! It's been quite a while since I've made chocolate chip cookies. Guess I'll have to do that one of these days.