Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tradition

Tra-di-tionnnnn...Tra-di-tion..da...da...da...da...Tra-di-tion. Sorry, that word just makes me think of Fiddler on the Roof. I got a little carried away.

So anyway when we would visit my grandparents (mom's parents), my grandma always made waffles. She made them because my dad absolutely loved them. She spoiled him rotten. He still talks about your waffles and how much he loved them.

I woke up Christmas and had an epiphany. I should make Dad waffles! I asked my Aunt Donna if she had the recipe and lo and behold there it was. So we whipped em' up and surprised Dad. Well technically, we all enjoyed them.

Here's the recipe:

Grandma Wirth's Waffles
1 1/4 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup melted shortening
2 beaten egg yolks
2 beaten egg whites

Sift flour and other dry ingredients. combine yolks, milk, melted shortening and add to flour. Stir to mix. DO NOT BEAT! Beat egg whites until they form peaks. Fold into mixture. Add an extra egg when doubling the recipe.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Yum! I think I ate some Kashi for breakfast on Christmas morning...is that sad? :-)
I'll bet your daddy was super surprised & happy - way to go!

ExploreColorado said...

Mmm! That makes me hungry.